Integrated payments are transforming the way goods and services are purchased – and have rapidly become a cornerstone of modern, effective customer experiences.
There are twin forces that are driving this sea change: elevated customer expectations and a demand for optionality.
Among B2C and even B2B buyers, expectations for frictionless and often single-click experiences are prevalent. Further, customers expect payment options that cater to their habits and the specific ways they prefer to transact with vendors. This preference materially impacts behavior. Customers are 63% more likely to shop with merchants that offer their preferred payment options.¹ And according to one study,² nearly a quarter of customers abandon transactions if their favorite way to pay isn’t available.
The evolution in consumer preferences – and corresponding platform innovation – has put pressure on merchants to broaden their payment offering, which in turn has made it more essential than ever for platforms, which enable their merchants to transact online, to choose the right payment partner. Platforms typically include Independent Software Vendors (ISVs), SaaS companies and ecommerce platforms.
At WePay by J.P. Morgan, we’re proud to be leading the charge.
Jump to section:
- Understanding integrated payments
- How a payment partner fits in
- Why WePay is the right choice for integrated payments
Understanding integrated payments
Integrated payments refer to the integration of payment processing capabilities directly into a platform or app, allowing users to complete transactions without leaving the platform.
Think Amazon and its omnipresent “Buy Now” button, the ease of confirming a ride with Uber or ordering ahead within the Starbucks app.
Platforms who leverage integrated payments provide merchants and their customers with a frictionless payment experience, which results in higher customer satisfaction and greater customer value.
How a payment partner fits in
Integrated payments providers do the legwork of building partnerships with banks and creating APIs to help companies quickly adapt integrated payment products and services. They can get you up and running affordably in weeks or months, rather than the years it would take to build.
Backed by J.P. Morgan’s global scale and security and Chase’s small businesses’ expertise, we partner with many platforms to enable direct bank payments through simple API integration. This allows you to streamline sending, requesting, and reconciling payments with data-rich, safe, and efficient tokenization technology.
Why WePay is the right choice for integrated payments
Embedding payments into your ecosystem will reduce the time it takes to underwrite and onboard merchants to your solution. At WePay, we make it easy to enable payments from your platform – with full customization or by leveraging our pre-built hosted solutions.
New revenue streams
As your merchant users accept integrated payments through your software’s payment gateway integration, you have the opportunity to get a cut of the revenue earned through all transactions processed (this is known as payment residuals). Based on the revenue projections, this will likely be very lucrative for platforms.
Integrated payments revenue is set to exceed $59 billion worldwide by 2027, representing a growth of 84% from the $32 billion projection for 20234.
WePay by J.P. Morgan offers the ability to reduce your total cost of payment processing, control merchant pricing and add a markup on top if the buy rate. This way you can adjust the end-user rate and maximize your payment margins.
Integrated payments can improve security by reducing the risk of data breaches and fraud. This is partly because the payment information is transmitted directly within the application, rather than being passed through multiple third-party websites.
The right payment provider would offer insight through real-time threat analytics and visibility into even the most sophisticated fraud patterns, using big data and advanced machine learning.
When you choose WePay, you can rest easy knowing there are around 3,000 cybersecurity professionals working to keep your payments safe.5
According to Market Research Future (MRFR), platforms market valuation will rise from $202.85 million in 2019 to $408.15 million by 2026 (review period 2020-2026).6 Cloud-native payments functionality and the additional revenue streams provided help position your ISV platform for a more attractive bid should you decide to go to market.
By leveraging WePay’s “backed by the scale and security of J.P. Morgan” branding, you can also add instant credibility to your payment processing capabilities.
With the scale of a bank and the efficiency of a SaaS provider, WePay provides a complete suite of solutions for payments, banking and more.
Are you ready to take advantage of the integrated payment revolution?
If you want to learn more, schedule an appointment and we’ll show you how integrated payments are right for your business.
- “Consumers Want More Payment Flexibility in Their Shopping Experience.” CIO, Chris Nerney, Aug 22, 2022. cio.com/article/405162/consumers-want-more-payment-flexibility-in-their-shopping-experience.html
- “Study: Shoppers want frictionless pay or they'll bolt.” RetailCustomerExperience.com, May 5, 2021. retailcustomerexperience.com/news/study-shoppers-want-frictionless-pay-or-theyll-bolt/
- “Fintech Scales Vertical SaaS.” Andreessen Horowitz, Kristina Shen, Kimberly Tan, Seema Amble, and Angela Strange. a16z.com/2020/08/04/fintech-scales-vertical-saas-2/
- “The Rise of Embedded Payments.” Peter Lucas, Digital Transactions, Jan. 1, 2023. digitaltransactions.net/magazine_articles/the-rise-of-embedded-payments/
- JPMorgan Chase Q4 2021 Earnings Presentation
- “Revenue from Embedded Payments to Reach $59B By 2027.” Connie Diaz De Teran, PaymentsJournal, Feb. 23, 2023. paymentsjournal.com/revenue-from-embedded-payments-to-reach-59b-by-2027/
- “Research Reveals Surge in B2B Embedded Finance Demand.” Roy Urrico, Finopotamus, Oct 4, 2022. finopotamus.com/post/research-reveals-surge-in-b2b-embedded-finance-demand
- “Benefits of an Integrated Payments Ecosystem: ISVs, Merchants, and End-Users.” PAYARC, Jan. 16, 2023. payarc.com/benefit-integrated-payments-isv/