Eventzilla Turbocharges Revenue by Increasing Merchant Conversion 200%
Eventzilla is a complete event registration and ticketing platform for classes, conferences, fundraisers, social events, and more. Thousands of event organizers worldwide have leveraged the platform to sell more than 5 million tickets, generating more than $100MM in gross ticket sales.
Payments processing is crucial for Eventzilla. It’s crucial for enabling users to sell tickets online, and it’s crucial for generating revenue for the platform when most of its event management services are free. Historically, Eventzilla asked users to connect third-party payments accounts in order to process ticket sales within the platform. Roughly 40% of event organizers used the payment processing functionality.
Eventzilla leaders saw opportunity to improve the experience and increase revenue with more seamless payments under its name. They integrated WePay, particularly excited to help organizers handle everything payments-related within Eventzilla. Gone would be the days of users having to go outside the platform to arrange their payments accounts and deal with questions and matters like refunds. What’s more, Eventzilla would gain visibility into its customers’ payments transactions like never before via WePay’s admin dashboard and panel.
The September 2016 launch was not an immediate success. Despite onboarding language stating the value of Eventzilla Payments, only a fraction of new users selling tickets adopted it.
Eventzilla and WePay team members together rolled up their sleeves and revisited the user experience. Applying new, data-driven learnings and best practices, they executed three key changes that would help users get to value much faster:
- Streamlined messaging from many small benefits to one powerful benefit
- Elevated a top use-case decision within the UX to funnel the right users to Eventilla Payments faster
- Reduced Eventzilla Payments sign-up from two steps to one step
Eventzilla relaunched its namesake Payments offering in December 2016, with dramatically greater outcomes:
- Increased Eventzilla Payments adoption by 200% (from 20% to 60%) among new users seeking to sell tickets online
- Increased speed to successful payment processing, from average first payment transaction in 15 days to 3 days or fewer
- Reduced response times on payments support queries 50%, with most that had taken 24 hours or more (with a redirect to a third-party processor) now getting immediate help
The Eventzilla team sees further correlations to customer stickiness and platform revenue.